Sunday, September 23, 2007

Losing Weight

How do you lose weight? Expend more calories that you take in. The formula is simple. The execution is hard.

I have been exercising and watching what I eat the past two months or so. Coke or other sodas are gone from my diet. Also, I don’t get that daily bag of chips any more. Other changes are trying to minimize red meat, eat more fruits and veggies, and don’t put any sugar in my coffee and cereal.

A few years ago, I went from 195 to 165 in about 6 to nine months. I grew tired of the exercise routine through. I was using the workout center at my job site. But I had to leave at 5:30am to get there early. After 5:00pm, it was way too crowded. Eventually I slipped back to my old habits, and the weight came back.

There are a few tips I have learned in the meantime.

  • Don’t weigh yourself too often. This is a long term commitment. I get on the scale once every two weeks (paydays). This helps me see the big picture and keeps me from getting obsessed with the process.
  • Don’t give up the foods you like. Just eat less. I love pizza, so when I have some, I limit myself to two slices. If I am still hungry, I make a salad or have an apple. That usually takes care of it. If you eat out, cut the portions in half, and eat the leftovers the next day.
  • Don’t beat yourself up if you fall off the wagon. Let’s face it. Around the Thanksgiving / Christmas season, you may be going to parties and family gatherings. Lots of food is going to be there. If you over indulge, just get back on the program as soon as possible. There are worse things you could have done. Like vote Democrat (but that’s a different column.)
  • Vary your workouts. I usually do the treadmill. If I vary the speeds, going from a fast walk to a slow trot and back, the time goes a lot faster. I also do the stationary bikes. Doing one cardio workout, doing one of the stations for strength training, then the other cardio workout, breaks your workout time nicely.
  • Have fun!!

-Keep Grinning!

No comments: