Saturday, September 1, 2007

Possums

I hate possums. My dog hates them more. In fact, she has killed three of them. And I hate disposing of dead possums more than I hate the possums themselves. (I found out the local Animal Control will come and pick up dead possums)

The funny thing is that my dog is very gentle with the inside animals. We have two cats she gets along with, and when the guinea pig comes out, Sadie will sniff and lick it, but not do anything else.

One morning earlier last week, she was going nuts looking out the back window, so I went outside to check what was going on. Once I got outside, I saw something out of the corner of my eye. It was this little rabbit.

I walked over to it and it did not seem to be afraid of me. So I got my daughter, who works at a pet store and she was able to pick it up and put it outside. (Now I’ve got to fix the hole in my fence.)

When we walk out to see it, the rabbit hops up to us, so it must have been someone else’s pet. Anyway the rabbit hangs around mostly at night. I think it goes to the next-door neighbor’s back yard during the day. He keeps his gate open and there’s a lot of shade. We’ve been putting out food and water for it, and so has the lady two doors down.

We’ve been trying to find a private agency that rescues and adopts out rabbits. The only one we have found is about an hours drive away. We really can’t keep it, and if we take it to the County shelter, they will euthanize the rabbit. It is really sweet and cute, and will do well with a good home I think

Keep Grinning.

No comments: